Studying and Exams
Some handy ideas to help with studying and the run up to exams.
Yes, we know. It’s not much fun for any of us, but at some point we’ve all got to get down to a bit of studying for exams.
But don’t panic! Here are a few things for you to think about that might make it a bit easier. Heads down…
- Being dyslexic means that you might take longer to process and remember information.
- Lots of people with dyslexia have problems with short-term memory – this means that you need to over-learn things until you know them perfectly. You cannot study things at the last minute!
- The key thing is to plan how you are going to study well in advance.
Some things you might try:
- Think about what time of day you work best.
- Make a revision timetable with time for each subject. Put the timetable somewhere you can see it!
- Set yourself targets. Break study time down to 50 minutes and have a 10 minute break every hour.
- Use colour coding – different coloured folders for different subjects. Use highlighters to remember important things.
- If there is something that you know will distract you, do something about it. If this means putting your phone or ipad in another room, do it! You can reward yourself with them later.
- Think positively. Say ‘I am going to get this done!’ as you sit down, rather than groaning ‘Oh no! I can’t do this!’
- If you get stuck, ask for help. Maybe you could ask a couple of friends over for an hour or two to study together.
- Make sure you get enough sleep, eat well and do some physical exercise every day.
Above all – don’t be too hard on yourself! Studying for exams is hard work, especially if you have dyslexia. As long as you try your best, no-one can ask for anything more.
- Don’t stop until you’re proud
- A little progress every day adds up to big results
- You are not the only person finding this difficult
- There is help out there if you ask for it
- If you don’t do as well as you’d like it is not the end of the world.
Have a look at some of our leaflets about studying
Other useful stuff