Our Education Conference provides an ideal opportunity for delegates to gain insights into both innovative and well-established approaches being delivered across education settings in Scotland to support dyslexic individuals, families and professionals. This conference will be suitable for teaching and other educational staff in Scottish schools and local authorities.
Our 2021 virtual conference will be held on Saturday 2 October 2021 (10am to 2:15pm).
Theme: Destination Dyslexia: a routemap
Cost: £50 members; £60 non-members
Keynote Speakers (biographies):
- Shirley Lawson (CALL Scotland), "Getting it right for dyslexic learners using technology in schools"
- Dr Tilly Mortimore (Bath Spa University), "Adolescents with dyslexia: risk, resilience and opportunity"
Six workshops covering the following topics:
- Technology and dyslexia - it's a real game changer! (Shirley Lawson, CALL Scotland)
- Maths and dyscalculia strategies (Laura Scott, GDSS)
- Spelling and phonics: primary (Hilary Aitken, City of Edinburgh Council)
- Spelling and phonics: secondary (Jude Durnan, City of Edinburgh Council)
- Recovering from the impact of the pandemic (Dr Laura-Ann Currie, Education Scotland)
- Co-occurring difficulties/neurodiversity (Pauline Lynch, Education Scotland)
The conference will also include a live Q&A session on Zoom from 12:45pm - 2pm. Cathy Magee (Dyslexia Scotland CEO) will lead a Q&A session with the morning keynote speakers. This will be followed by a Q&A session discussing 'Covid, Education and Mental Health' led by Fran Foreman of Education Scotland and Debbie Thomson of East Ayrshire Support Team.
Click here to see a programme for the day.
Schools can pay by invoice after a place has been booked on Eventbrite. More details about paying by credit card or invoice are on the Eventbrite page.
Members of Dyslexia Scotland were emailed their promo code last week (15 June). Branch volunteers were emailed their promo code this week (w/c 21 June). When you go to page 1 of the check out on Eventbrite, you'll see a blue Enter Promo Code option above 'General Admission.' Please then add your promo code for the relevant discount and click 'Apply'.
What about costs?
The cost of the virtual conference is £50 for members and £60 for non-members. Dyslexia Scotland is a charity and non-profit organisation. Any fees to participate in this event will be used to cover the costs related to this event, while supporting our work to improve the lives of dyslexic people in Scotland. If you wish to support our charity further and help us continue to improve the lives of dyslexic people, we'd be grateful for any donations via Just Giving.
If you have any queries about the information above, please email our Education Conference Volunteer Celia Richardson at [email protected]
- Workshops featuring:
If you would like to purchase this film pack, please email [email protected]. You will be given information about payment options. Once you have paid, the film pack with the film links will be emailed to you. Please note, this pack is for individual use only and must not be shared.